Monday, September 15, 2014

Treehouse was a great resource

I have been using Team Treehouse for a few months now.  It's the perfect system to help you learn to code.  I have found that it is especially good for learning how to make a website and thus languages like html, css, and javascript.  It's improving on programming languages like php and ruby.  I have so far just used it to learn basic website design languages.

I like the set up.  In the How To Make A Website series of videos, you literally learn the basics of how to make a website.  I didn't have a complete understanding of how it all worked until I went through these videos.  After you are done with them, you feel like you can really learn anything.  Treehouse provides code challenges and quizzes after every video or two in order to make sure you fully understand the concepts.  I would strongly suggest you take the information that you learn and start putting it to practice.  Learning to make a website is not something you should just learn on a theoretical level.  You need to get in the weeds and start making your own websites.  That is by far the best way to get started and to learn.  Practice makes perfect is especially relevant to making websites.

As time moves on, Treehouse will keep adding videos.  What I would like to see is more things like the How To Make A Website series of videos.  I want to see someone show me a website they made and then deconstruct it and show us every step of the way.  If they can put together 3-4 modules just like that, with increasing complexity, that would really go a long way at crystallizing the information that I've learned.  This is something that shouldn't be too hard to do and I think it makes logical sense that they will do this in the future.

In the meantime, Team Treehouse has been fantastic.  I will probably supplement this with one or two other resources like Codecademy, but I am extremely happy so far and will happily continue paying the monthly subscription fee.

For a further review of Treehouse, I would recommend this or this.

No comments:

Post a Comment